Overseas, we set up and fund both environmental and people and livelihoods projects in many of the most popular holiday destinations. Importantly, they are all countries and regions which receive a significant or growing number of package tourists, which means that in partnership with tour operators, their suppliers and local stakeholders, we are able to influence involved parties and create more sustainable tourism.
Through our projects we aim to...
- demonstrate the good the sustainable tourism can do
- ensure local people benefit economically
- develop close links between local suppliers and hoteliers / operators
- provide appropriate education and training wherever necessary
- protect the natural environment
- protect local culture and traditions
Projects are initiated in two ways: most are developed and implemented by our own teams in destination; some are managed through external organisations applying to The Travel Foundation’s external grants scheme.
In this section you'll also find our research documents that inform our work overseas and in the UK.
We run projects that help local communities earn a living from tourism.
We run projects that help to protect the environment in popular holiday destinations.