The Pacific Tourism Organisation (SPTO), which represents 21 Pacific Island governments and also enlists a large private sector membership base, has partnered with international tourism NGO, the Travel Foundation, to help the region’s tourism sector to “rebuild better”.
The partnership will focus on “smart recovery”: maximising the value tourism brings to communities in the Pacific, as tourism recovers from the Covid-19 pandemic, supporting Pacific Island governments and businesses to rebuild tourism on strong foundations based on sustainable, managed growth, enhanced quality of life, and protection of natural and cultural resources.
- The organisations will develop and deliver together a programme of work focused on:
- Developing new products and experiences based on the uniqueness of each island, stimulating local entrepreneurship and strong local supply chains.
- Enhancing tourism governance with new standards, research to better understand social, environmental and economic impacts, and new measures of success.
- Training and skills development for governments, small businesses and other organisations.
- Facilitating engagement and participation from residents, community groups and other stakeholders to develop a strong shared vision for the future of tourism