About the Travel Foundation
Founded in 2003, the Travel Foundation is an independent charity working with the travel industry towards a sustainable future.
We enable travel companies to integrate sustainable tourism into their business - to protect the environment and create opportunities for local people in tourism destinations.
We set up projects in tourism destinations that find, test and demonstrate new ways for travel organisations to make a difference. For example we work with partners to develop:
- Excursions that provide economic opportunities for local people
- Locally produced goods, such as food and crafts for sale to holidaymakers and tourism businesses
- Training for local people to help develop tourism-related skills
- Conservation projects including resource efficiency in hotels and environmental protection
- Destination partnerships that bring together travel companies and destination stakeholders
See our timeline for more about our achievements.